VA Home Loans
The VA Home Loan Program was started in 1944 as a part of the GI Bill of Rights following World War II. It was created to reward those currently serving in the military and veterans that have served. As part of the GI Bill, the government created a special government insured mortgage program to minimize down payments, lower closing costs, and help those currently serving and veterans achieve the dream of home ownership.
- One of the primary benefits of a VA home loan is that in most cases a down payment isn’t required. It is one of the only home loan programs in the country without a required down payment or private mortgage insurance. VA allows Veterans to pay up to 1% of their loan amount toward VA non-allowable fees.
- VA home loan interest rates and APR’s tend to be lower when compared to other home loan mortgage programs. Individual interest rates for VA Loans are still dependent on your personal situation. Those factors that can affect VA interest rates include your credit scores, how much your down payment is, the value of the home, etc.
For eligible veterans and their families, the VA home loan is a truly great financing option and one to explore with an experienced mortgage professional.
VA Frequently Asked Questions
Who qualifies for VA Home Loan eligibility?
Eligible veterans and their spouses include the following:
- Active Duty Personnel of the Air Force, Army, Navy, and Marines
- Veterans of the Air Force, Army, Navy, and Marines
- Certain Reservists and National Guard Members
- Surviving spouses of Veterans who died on active duty or died as a result of service connected disabilities
- Certain spouses of active duty personnel who are;
- Missing in Action
- Captured in line of duty by hostile forces
- Forcibly detained by a foreign government or power
What are my VA Home Loan Benefits?
- What can I expect? The VA offers very user friendly home lending guidelines and allows VA lenders to utilize a manual underwrite when needed. One can expect to have to provide 2 years tax returns with W2’s, 30 days most recent pay stubs and current bank statements.
- Where do I check my VA benefits? A VA approved home loan lender can usually access the benefits or one can contact the VA Eligibility Center at 1-877-827-3702 to request their Certificate of Eligibility.
- Can I use my VA Benefits more than once? YES!!!! This is one of the biggest misconceptions that still exist. Your VA Certificate of Eligibility dictates the available benefit.
What types of VA Home Loans are available?
- A regular VA Home Loan consists of financing up to 100% with a loan balance limit of $726,200 There is no monthly mortgage insurance nor private mortgage insurance on VA Loans. You may need to put more down to qualify and be approved for your specific monthly payment.
- VA Jumbo Loans are for balances of $647,201 up to $2,000,000*
- VA Condo Loans. On VA-approved condo projects only.
The next steps in getting a VA Home Loan
- Contact us right away, we are an experienced and qualified VA Home Loan Lender and can assist with each step of the process
- Check your VA Benefits Eligibility yourself or we can assist you with that too
- Gather your necessary documentation like 2 years tax returns with W2’s, 30 days most recent pay stubs and current bank statements.
* Subject to full entitlement. Greater than $1.2 million, additional restrictions apply.
We very sincerely and deeply thank you and your family for your service and sacrifice. It would be our honor to serve you and your needs and assist you in achieving your homeownership goals.